31 July 2011

Andy Serkis Talks Directorial Duties on 'Hobbit'

With his most recent film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, in theatres this Friday, Andy Serkis recently spoke with ComingSoon.net about his next project, Peter Jackson's two-part film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit.' Not only will Andy be reprising his role as Gollum, he will also serve as the film's 2nd Unit director.

When asked how directing 'The Hobbit' will be different from the short films he's directed in the past, Andy's response was:

"It's really incredible. At the end of the day you're finding the right shot to support the performance. That's something I've learned from working with Peter over the years. What I've loved and really connected with is observing his choices in how to tell a story with a camera. I've been very inspired by the way he works over the years, clearly, and I think that's why I feel like I'm kind of in touch with his sensibility. Although I'm there for him on 2nd Unit, his words to me when he offered me the job were, "I want you to make bold decisions, come back with your own take on it, you can cut your own material." He wants a fresh pair of eyes as well. I'm not gonna take it too far from his sensibility, but to have that creative freedom and yet at the same time know that you're aiming towards the same end is a great mix for working on that scale. Working in 3D for the first time, working with such a big crew, all the drama and battle sequences and all the other things."

Look for Rise of the Planet of the Apes in theatres this Friday; The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released in theatres in December 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...