23 August 2011

365 Days of Middle-earth ~ Day 54: Argonath


S. ‘Pillars-of-the-Kings’ or ‘Stones of the Kings’

Also called the Pillars of the Kings, the Gates of Argonath, the Gates of the Kings, and the Gates of Gondor

The Argonath was the name for the mighty carved stones, fashioned in the likenesses of Isildur and Anárion, which stood on either side of the Anduin River, built by Rómencil II of Gondor (TA 1340) to mark the northern boundary of Gondor and forbid any unwelcome travelers from going any further.  ‘…still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was rasied palm outwards in a gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown.’ (The Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter 9)


References

Foster, R. (2001). Argonath. In The complete guide to middle-earth: from the hobbit through the lord of the rings and beyond. New York: Del Rey. 

Tolkien, J. (1954). The lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring. New York: Del Rey.

Tyler, J. (1976). Argonath. In The complete Tolkien companion. New York: St. Martin’s Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment