|Image: Sheena Power - Baglady design|
Trinity College Dublin’s School of English will be holding a Tolkien conference on September 21 and 22, featuring a Keynote Address ("The Goths and the Romans in Tolkien's Imagination") from Professor Tom Shippey (St. Louis University, emeritus).
Invited Lecturers include:
- Professor Michael D. C. Drout (Wheaton College): ‘The Tower and the Ruin: The Past in Tolkien’
- Professor Verlyn Flieger (University of Maryland): ‘Seeing the Forest and the Trees: Sentient Landscape in Tolkien's Fiction.’
- Professor Thomas Honegger (University of Jena): ‘”Raw Forest” and the “Cooked City” Lévi-Strauss in Middle-earth’
- Professor Alison Milbank (University of Nottingham): 'In a Dark Wood: Tolkien and Dante’’
- Ms. Meg Black: ‘The Party Tree and its Roots in the Spanish Civil War’
- Dr. Jane Carroll (Trinity College Dublin): ‘On the Edge of Ruin: Unexpected Pleasures in Unexpected Places in The Lord of the Rings’’
- Dr. Dimitra Fimi (Cardiff Metropolitan University): ‘Wildman of the Woods: Inscribing Tragedy on the Landscape of Middle –earth in The Children of Hurin’
- Ms. Jennifer Harwood-Smith (Trinity College Dublin): ‘Fractured Cities: the Twinning of Tolkien's Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul with Fritz Lang's Metropolis."
- Gerard Hynes, (Trinity College Dublin): ‘The Cedar has Fallen: Empire, Deforestation, and the Fall of Numenor’
- Ian Kinane (Trinity College Dublin): ‘Less Noise, More Green: Cultural Materialism and the Reverse Discourse of the Forest in Tolkien’s The Hobbit’
- Karl Kinsella (Keble College Oxford): ‘A Preference for Round Windows: Architectural Description in Lord of the Rings’
- Ms. Rebecca Merkelbach (Clare College Cambridge): ‘Deeper and Deeper into the Wood: Forests as Places of Transformation in The Lord of the Rings’
- Ms. Dominika Nycz: ‘The Forest and the City: The Dichotomy of Tolkien’s Istari’
- Dr. Erin Sebo (Trinity College Dublin): ‘Liminal Cities? The Location of Riddle Contests in The Hobbit'
For more information, visit the college’s Tolkien events page.