01 March 2014

Calling New England Area Tolkien Fans!

One of my dreams has always been to start my own Tolkien group or Smial. After doing some research, I was saddened to find there doesn't seem to be an active Tolkien society in the New Hampshire area.

So I've decided to take matters into my own hands and start one up myself! It is my hope that there will be enough fans in the area who will want to participate in whatever way(s) – be it online discussions/debates, local meetups, convention attendances, movie gatherings, etc.

Before Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites, I always felt isolated as a Tolkien fan. All I had were my books and myself. Now we can more easily find and connect with others who share our interests, and I want to seize this opportunity and try to serve the Tolkien community as much as I am able.

I know there are plenty of fans out there, but they are not always easy to find. If you're a Tolkien fan in the New England area (or even just beyond; all are welcome), please consider taking a look at the following links:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/nhtolkiensoc
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/granitestatetolkiensociety
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/658740734162983/
Blog: http://granitestatetolkien.blogspot.com

Best wishes to you all,
Britta

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to do a similar thing where I live (which is far away from New England!), and even though I've found my country listed on the Tolkien Society Smial list, I've never received a reply from them on whether it was active.

    I can honestly understand your isolation as a Tolkien fan, as I'm in a similar position. Again, I'm definitely not in the New England area but wouldn't mind assisting in any way.

    Cheers,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      Have you tried browsing societies on Facebook/Twitter to see if yours is active (or perhaps has been replaced)? I am following loads of them on Twitter, so it's possible you may have better luck finding one that way. Or perhaps if you Tweet the Tolkien Society account directly, you'll get an answer.

      I truly appreciate your offer. Before I can get too heavily involved (booking venues to meet/planning events/etc.), I need to gauge how much of a demand there actually is in New England. If you have any friends on the Eastern Coast, feel free to send them my way! ;)

      And likewise; if I can be of any assistance with your endeavours, don't hesitate to let me know!

      Cheers,
      Britta

      Delete