26 August 2015

Tolkien Haul – August 24

I spent the past weekend up in Maine, and while there, I stumbled upon another fantastic bookstore to add to my "religiously re-visit" list. The Maine Bookhouse in Oxford, Maine is open daily year-round and boasts an inventory of "over 13,000 new, used, and out-of-print books"; so naturally I suspected there would be some Tolkien books somewhere in the mix.

And I wasn't wrong! I immediately found four must-haves, plus a movie tie-in cover that I hemmed and hawed over for quite a bit before ultimately adding it to my pile. They also had the 1995 Quality Paperback Bookclub The Return of the King, which I have yet to see in any other stores, but as I already had it, I had to pass.

In addition to the great selection (I could have spent all day in there, if I'd had more time) and the fair prices, the owner was very friendly and even threw in a small easel to prop up one of my books with. I also had my first opportunity to hand out one of my newly printed business cards.

I left there with The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King – thus completing another set of The Lord of the Rings – a movie tie-in of The Fellowship of the Ring featuring Frodo on the cover; and two first American editions of The Silmarillion (6th and 10th printings).



A ways down the road was Route 26 Antiques & Books, which had an amazing selection of books. Unfortunately, there was not much in the way of Tolkien (and most of what they did have I already owned as well); but I did find another movie tie-in cover and the 50th anniversary edition of the 1980s The Fellowship of the Ring.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't know that version of the Silmarillion with the cover art was a 6th or 10th edition. I have that one too, although yours is in much better shape. Jacket doesn't look ripped or anything :p

    On a related note, I got the History of Middle-earth volumes 9, 11 and 12 yesterday, which mean I've finally completed the entire set. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the 10th printing (right copy) is in great shape. The other, since it's missing a dust jacket, is very faded; but that's what drew me to it in the first place!

      And congrats! I think that's an essential set to have!

      Delete
    2. Who knows, someday I might even read them :p For now it's the Unfinished Tales I have to get to, after all these years.

      Delete
  2. Awesome find! I've owned that 6th edition a few times. Given two or three of them away and still have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful copy, that's for sure! I'm in the process of tracking one down for a friend now. It's a great copy to own!

      Delete
  3. I have that Frodo cover! He's so beautiful. :) My parents have that cover of The Silmarillion but they haven't read it.

    I am about to send you another essay I can hope you can use. :)

    Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...